Friday, April 2, 2010

Running...

I love to run.
It is a strange thing for me to admit since I spent most of my time in high school phys. ed class looking for reasons NOT to run -- my back hurt, I forgot my shoes, I forgot my gym clothes, I have my period, it is too cold, I have a headache.... If I would have used half the energy that I spent generating excuses into running I would have been a track star!
I started running ten years ago after I had my first daughter as a way to lose weight and I got the bug. I signed up for a 5K, a 10K and then a half marathon. I have competed in a few triathlons and did hill training with a running group. I have done short sprints on tracks, long runs on trails and everything in between. I have run at Disney, on a cruise ship and in the Bahamas.
As much as I love running I have never tried to convince someone else to become a runner. When I get a new client and they say they like the treadmill I ask them: do you want to run or walk on an incline? It is up to them and I never push them to run. I have helped a few of my friends start running but only after they expressed an interest in the sport but I never pushed. Maybe that is why I find it hard to understand why so many people try to justify to me why they don't run -- or better yet -- try to convince me to stop.
Here are a few of the most annoying things that I hear from non-runners.

1) I am out running in the neighbourhood and they pull up beside me in their car and ask "do you want a ride?" ha ha... that one wasn't even funny the first time I heard it.

2) My doctor told me that no one should ever run because it is so bad for your knees and back. Really? No one should ever run? hmmmm I know a lot of people who run that are not crippled with bad backs or knees: some of them are even doctors. Also, those Olympians and Kenyan front-runners that run like gazelles at the 10K races better watch out because they must be in for some serious trouble.

3) Aren't you worried that your boobs are going to sag? All of that bouncing can't be good for them. Wow! I really appreciate your concerns about my breasts. I found this crazy thing called a bra. It works wonders.

4) I read an article once (they can never remember where they read it) saying that running puts stress on your heart. Aren't you worried about having a heart attack? Well, stroke, high blood pressure and heart disease all run in my family. I am more worried about the affect that NOT running will have on my heart.

5) Isn't it expensive? Those shoes cost a fortune and what about that heart rate monitor you have? I like my toys. The heart rate monitor was a gift from my hubby who is proud of me for running and my shoes cost much less than the stilettos and boots some of my girlfriends buy. I don't judge them for the cost of their footwear.

6) What about getting attacked or abducted? I could get attacked anywhere -- it is a sad fact of life. I am careful and only run in well-lit, populated areas or in a group.

7) I was thinking of going for a run and then I sat down, had a beer and the feeling passed -- Thank God... Ha ha ha... again a funny one. You non-runners are a bunch of comedians.

8) I worry about nipple chafing I still don't have an answer to this one. It came from a man I know and it completely took me aback. I think I laughed and told him that his nipples were his own business -- YIKES

9) There are too many runs in this city -- they shut down streets and it is really a pain in the butt. Running season is short and there only a few major races all year. They are well publicized and the road closures are announced weeks in advance. If you are stopped by one, pull over, get out of your car and cheer for the folks who are working hard.

10) I would run but since I had kids I don't have time -- I tend put my family first. This one annoys me because a) It implies that I have tonnes of free time. I don't -- I make time. b) My kids are important to me too. I am not neglecting them by taking time to stay healthy. I want to dance at their wedding and live to a ripe old age to see them have kids of their own.

Phew... that feels better!

I would be remiss if I did not finish this off by thanking some of the non-runners. Each year I run the 10K at Ottawa Race Day weekend and I am always amazed to see the people lining the roads cheering us on with signs and shouts of encouragement. Kids give us high-fives, people yell out "way to go", "Keep going" or "you're doing great." It is the most amazing feeling to realize that a total stranger took the time to come out and cheer me along.

But I think the most important reason I continue to run is for my girls. I want them to grow up thinking that fitness is a natural way of life. That people go out to run because it is a nice day and they feel like 'stretching their legs'. That exercise is a great way to blow some steam after a hard day. Last week my 5-year old told me: Mommy, when I am older I am going to run races too.

That's why I keep running.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie that by far (and I have had years of enjoying your views on the silly and stupid things that tend to come out of human beings) the funniest thing I have read to date...before I began running over a year ago I thought running was way too much effort...now I feel the effort of trying to function without have had at least 2 or 3 runs in during the week...not bragging just saying that it does wonders for the body and soul...so keep on running. :)

Triple Sport Bride said...

From the girl that could only run 30 seconds a few years ago, to the one who ran a marathon this past fall, I can relate! :D I think my favourite story is when I was living downtown Calgary in a 'redevelopment' area. There was problems with drugs and prostitution, so going for run was always an interesting experience. One day, I ran by a woman who had run across some bad luck in her life. She looked at me, a spandex delight, sort of looked at herself, and in her very raspy, smokey voice asked ... 'gotta light?' She laughed, I laughed, and it seemed that for a brief moment in time socio-economic status had ceased to exist. THAT's what I love about running - all people from different backgrounds and futures can meet together on a pathway and share a giggle.